Tempe, Arizona - Sun Devil Football continues the 2016 season at home this weekend, welcoming the Texas Tech Red Raiders on Saturday, Sept. 10 at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe. The game is currently slated for a 7 p.m. PT kickoff and will be broadcast live on FOX Sports 1 with Joe Davis, Brady Quinn and Jenny Taft on the call.
This will mark the third meeting between the two programs with the series split at one game each. Texas Tech downed ASU, 37-23, in the 2013 Holiday Bowl in the last meeting with the Sun Devils taking a 31-13 victory to open the 1999 season prior to that. This is just the fourth time in school history that the Red Raiders will start a game at 9 p.m. CT or later and the first time Texas Tech has taken on a Pac-12 opponent in the regular season since 1999 (also against the Sun Devils).
Texas Tech racked up 758 yards of total offense in its 69-17 rout of Stephen F. Austin, which ranked second nationally through the first week of the season. It also marked the fourth-highest total in single-season school history. Despite removing most of its starting offense early in the third quarter, Texas Tech poured in 69 points against the Lumberjacks, marking the 17th-consecutive game where the Red Raiders have scored at least 25 points, the longest active streak in the country.
Despite playing just over a half in his 2016 debut, Patrick Mahomes II recorded 540 yards of total offense after completing 30-of-43 passes for 483 yards and four touchdowns while rushing for another 57 yards and two touchdowns on just 10 carries. Mahomes leads the country in total offense through the first week of the season. He led the nation in the category a year ago after posting over 5,000 yards of total offense.
ASU is 13-5-0 all-time against teams currently playing in the Big 12 and holds a winning record against each of the eight teams it has played from the conference with the exception of Texas Tech (tied 1-1) and Texas (0-1).
AN ASU VICTORY WOULD...
- Move ASU to 10-0 in non-conference home games in the Todd Graham era.
- Mark ASU's fifth consecutive win over a non-conference Power Five oppoenent at home (Missouri '11, Illinois '12, Wisconsin '13, Notre Dame '14)
- Improve ASU to 11-3 in the Todd Graham era in regular season non-conference games
- Mark Todd Graham's fourth 2-0 start with the Sun Devils in five seasons at the helm.
- Move the Devils to 23-6 in games played at Sun Devil Stadium since Todd Graham took the reins in 2012.
- Move Todd Graham to 36-19 as head coach of the Sun Devils in his fifth season and 85-48 overall in his 11 seasons as a head coach.
- Improve ASU to 2-1 all-time against the Red Raiders
- Move ASU to 14-5 all-time against teams currently playing in the Big 12 Conference and ensure a winning/even record against all those teams except Texas (0-1).