Published on Wednesday, 21 March 2012 09:41
Written by Kayla Holiman
Yuma, Arizona - Many of this week’s emergency responses were to motor vehicle crashes. More vehicles are still using our streets this time of year and motorists need to take that into consideration. Although much has been completed, there is still some roadwork currently underway.
Although construction in the long run will be helping the traffic situation (like it has on 16thStreet), right now it does add to congestion. We all need to be patient, use caution, and follow these simple suggestions:
- Consider your driving time; leave early so you don’t have to rush to get to your destination.
- Plan your route to avoid congestion.
- Drive defensively, and be aware of what is going on around you.
- Avoid distractions such as talking on cell phones, texting, adjusting radios and eating while in traffic.
- Make use of your safety devices, wear your seat belts and be sure children are using proper safety restraints too.
- Be alert to the lights and sirens of responding emergency vehicles, and properly yield to them by pulling over as far as practical to the right, coming to a complete stop, and waiting until they have passed by before safely resuming your travel.